Fall haul (and an immunity boosting purple juice)
This morning was one of my favorite kinds of mornings. I slept in, received my weekly delivery of organic vegetables, and made a delicious juice for myself and my best friend who is coming down with a cold and asked me for a vitamin injection (she normally asks me for coffee or vodka…so I was pleased.)
I have spent a long time figuring out biological/organic farming and distribution in Italy. It’s an interesting industry to navigate (and quite complicated), but once you have it worked out, there are a great number of options available in almost every region of the country. Initially, I received my fruits and veggies from Zolle.it, a delivery service that sources both fresh and processed food in Rome. Zolle works with small and medium organic farmers all located in the countryside around Rome, in the Lazio region, and each farmer uses non-intensive production methods while adapting to seasonal cycles and regional varieties of produce. I had a standing order with them for a year where the weekly delivery cost a bit less than 40 Euros and it included seven variations of veggies, three fruits, two cheeses and six eggs.
Lately, I have been receiving my produce from Vivai Fleming (vivaifleming.it) who are passionate about nature, food and health and whose products are all produced here in Rome and adapt to the seasonal cycles and regional varieties as well.
Today’s juice was engineered specifically for my friend to help her beat her cold and boost her immune system with antioxidant compounds, vitamins, phyto-nutrients and essential minerals (amongst other things), including:
- Beets (Calcium, Iron, Vitamins A, C, D, B12, B6, Iron, Magnesium)
- Carrots (Vitamins A, C, B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic acid, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium)
- Radishes (Vitamins A, C, B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic acid, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus)
- Spinach (Vitamins A, C, B6, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic acid, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus)
- Ginger (Vitamins A, C, D, B6, B12, Iron, Calcium, Magnesium)
- Apple (Vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, B12, Iron, Niacin, Riboflavin, Calcium, Magnesium)