I gave up coffee a little over a year ago. Although it was the right decision to make for myself, it may not be the way forward for everyone. I will go into the pros and cons of the java lovin’ at a later date, but for now, I would like to talk about green tea.
Once I gave up coffee, I knew that I would require some type of substitute (mentally and physically) for the habit that had been a part of my daily life for nearly 20 years. I had heard about the amazing properties of green tea, combined with the fact that it is readily and internationally available in numerous forms and varieties, I knew that it was time to begin introducing it (in moderate doses) into my diet.
Here is a recipe for a yummy berry smoothie with green matcha tea powder that is the perfect morning or mid-afternoon pick-me-up.
Additionally, I have listed a number of the beneficial dietary aspects of green tea.
Green Tea Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup organic or homemade unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ ripe banana
- 1 handful blackberries
- 1 handful blueberries
- 1 tsp organic matcha green tea powder
- 1 ½ tbsp manuka honey (or 2 dates or agave or maple syrup)
- Blend, serve and enjoy!
*Green Tea Benefits:
- Contains bioactive compounds that can improve health
- Improves brain function
- Increases fat burning
- Improves physical performance
- Full of antioxidants (which may lower certain types of cancer risks)
- Improves dental health
- Lowers risk of infection
- Protects brain health
- Reduces mortality, including deaths due to cardiovascular diseases
For further information on green tea: