My mom never really cooked for us when I was little. Don’t get me wrong, she was (and still is) an amazing mother in so many ways but the truth is- I don’t think I have ever eaten a full meal prepared by her two hands. Food was either eaten in restaurants, picked up from various take-away establishments, reheated from its plastic and paper containers after being purchased at various gourmet grocery stores and delis or prepared by our beloved housekeeper, Maria, who is a great cook- among about a million other incredible qualities.
I don’t really know if my mom knows how to cook or not. Once in a while, she reminds me that she is indeed a good chef, but that there were a number of circumstances leading to her putting down the knives and stashing the pots when I was still living under her roof.
What I do know is that she is an incredible baker. I inherited my sweet tooth from my mom and she must have inherited hers from her mother. This means that she has had her entire lifetime to hone her baking skills and perfect her recipes for everything and anything sweet. Want something decadent? Chocolatey? Gooey? Crunchy? She’s your man.
One of my all-time favorite recipes of my mother’s is her banana bread.
I have tried, over the years, to recreate her banana bread and I thought that it was pretty hopeless to imagine that I could do what she did without using the refined sugars and flours, dairy products and gluten but you know what? I figured it out (with the help of a number of recipes and tips from various blogs, about 7 trials and errors and two horrifying results), but in the end- I got it! And here it is:
(GF Vegan) Banana Bread with Chocolate Sauce
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed and 2.5 tbsp water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes)
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (mine is homemade)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- ¼ cup raw coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp raw honey (or maple syrup or agave)
- ½ tsp vanilla beans
- 3 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup almond meal (I use the pulp from the almond milk)
- ¼ cup quinoa flour
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder (tapioca flour/powder works as well)
- 1 ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a loaf pan with baking paper
- Mash the bananas in a bowl and add the flax egg, almond milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut sugar, honey, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix until perfectly combined and smooth.
- Add in the almond meal, brown rice flour, arrowroot powder and oats. Stir.
- Bake for about an hour or until browned and cracked on top and a toothpick comes out clean from the middle.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes
- Slice, drizzle with chocolate sauce (recipe below), sprinkle any other toppings, serve and enjoy.
- ¼ cup raw organic cocoa powder
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup (or more depending on desired sweetness)
- Whisk ingredients together and pour over the banana bread.