Cake, cake and more cake…
What’s better than chocolate cake? Vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free chocolate cake!
Therefore, I am making it my mission this year to find the very best “healthy” chocolate cake recipe. Thus far, the Chocolate Beet Cupcakes Recipe are front-runners but I haven’t yet met a plant-based chocolate cake I didn’t like.
The search continues…
In the meantime, I threw together this ridiculously good, ridiculously amazing, ridiculously easy simple flourless chocolate cake. I found the recipe on minimalistbaker.com (my go-to reference for easy delicious dessert recipes).
- ½ cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup gluten free oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 1 ½ medium ripe bananas
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened homemade almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Mixed berries (the cake was so rich, I thought that a frosting would be a little too much. The berries gave it a perfect amount of acidity)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and grease a baking pan with coconut oil and coat it with gluten free flour.
- Mash the avocado and banana in a large mixing bowl
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil and stir.
- Mix the almond milk with the vinegar and leave for a few minutes until milk curdles.
- Add the milk mixture to the bowl and whisk
- Add baking soda and baking powder to the bowl and mix until fully combined
- Add cocoa powder, salt, gluten free flour blend and coconut flour to a sifter and sift over wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add the oat flour and mix.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and back for 45 minutes until it is a bit cracked on the top and a toothpick comes out clean
- Let cool in the pan for one hour.
- Once cooled, top as desired, serve and enjoy!
P.s. the best part about these egg-free plant based recipes is that we can all enjoy licking as much gooey chocolaty batter as we want!
P.p.s. Here’s the original recipe: http://minimalistbaker.com/fudgy-gluten-free-chocolate-cake/