I had some serious doubts about savory oats but today I thought I would just go for it and see how they came out…
I must say that they were AWESOME! Why didn’t I start making these sooner??? Why didn’t anyone tell me about them?
To be honest, I didn’t ever think to make oats with savory flavors because sweet oatmeal as a breakfast food was almost a basic food group in my house growing up.
Then, I came across a photo of savory oats on Instagram and a lightbulb went off in my head. It was like WHY NOT??!??!
So I made these ridiculously yummy oats, tweaking the ingredients and measurements as I went along and the result was wonderful.
Here’s the recipe.
Creamy “Cheesy” Savory Oats
Ingredients (for 3 large servings)
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 cup button mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp miso paste
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 handful of arugula
- sea salt
- Bring the oats and water to a boil and then turn down heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed
- In the meantime, heat a drop of olive oil in a pan and add the onions. Once the onions are translucent, add the sliced mushrooms and a pinch of salt and sauté until they are slightly browned and have shrunk significantly in size.
- Whisk 1 tbsp of hot water with the tahini and the miso until it becomes a uniform paste. Add to the cooked oats and stir.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the oats mixture.
- Finally, add the arugula and mix into the oats. The leaves will wilt from the heat.
- Serve the oats in a bowl and top with fresh arugula and a little bit of olive oil.