The temperature outside just continues to drop and smoothies are becoming harder and harder to enjoy. My body is literally asking me for warm porridges, creamy soups and casseroles hot out of the oven.
And if there is anything I have learned while studying nutrition…it’s that we must listen to what our bodies tell us.
So although my new Vitamix (the kitchen tool that just changed my life) is staring at me perched on its pedestal in the kitchen, I will just have to use it for something else later in the day.
For the moment, I won’t be making any smoothies. Instead, I will be working on innovating new and exciting porridge recipes.
Here’s a good one for you…
Blueberry and Banana Cashew Porridge
- 2/3 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cashew milk (mine is homemade and unsweetened)
- 1 banana
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp manuka honey (you can use maple syrup if strict vegan)
- Combine the oats, water and cashew milk in a medium saucepan. Stir and place over high heat until it begins to boil.
- Turn the heat down and add half of the banana mashed (the rest you can slice up and use for topping.) Continue to stir for five to seven minutes or until the porridge becomes thick and creamy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in most of the blueberries, cashew butter, cinnamon and honey.
- Pour into a bowl, decorate with banana slices and the rest of the blueberries. Serve and enjoy!