Sometimes it takes much less than a stroke of genius to make something absolutely scrumptious. This time, all it took was the notion to combine two of my favorite things: oatmeal (porridge) and chocolate.
I cannot believe I didn’t think of this before!
Easy, nutritious, pretty and just chocolatey enough to satisfy any craving.
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill…which I order from Amazon.co.uk and have delivered to Italy)
- 1 cup non-gmo organic soy milk (but any other plant-based milk is just fine)
- 1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 tsbp date syrup (maple syrup or honey would work well too)
- pinch of salt (this is optional but it brings out the chocolate flavor)
For the garnish/toppings:
- Cornflower infused vanilla cashew milk (just make regular cashew milk, blend with a bit of vanilla, maple syrup and cornflowers and refrigerate)
- Red currants
- Dried cornflower petals
- Maqui berry powder (for a superfood boost!)
- Combine the oats and soy milk in a medium saucepan. Stir and place over medium heat until it begins to bubble
- Turn the heat down to low and continue to stir for another minute
- Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla, date syrup and salt
- Continue to stir for another 5-7 minutes or until the porridge becomes thick and creamy and there is no liquid left.
- Remove from heat
- Place in a bowl and pour over a bit of the cashew milk
- Decorate with the toppings (listed above or as desired)
- Serve and enjoy!!