There is no greater satisfaction than transforming a childhood (unhealthy) indulgence into a healthier plant-based superfood version of itself.
As a kid, my absolute favorite ice cream flavor was mint chocolate chip. Still is. I mean, what’s better than creamy mint with a chocolatey crunch?
I am still baffled as to why it has taken me this long to make a mint chip smoothie! (This one was inspired by a recipe in Kris Carr’s book “Crazy Sexy Juice.”
Anyway. It was great. Here’s the recipe:
Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup non-gmo soy milk (or any other plant-based milk) unsureetened
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 1 small handful mint leaves
- 3 pitted dates
- 1-2 tbsp raw cocoa nibs
- Chlorella, wheat grass, spirulina or blue-green algae powder (for an extra healthy boost, add about a tsp)
- Blend all the ingredients except for the cocoa nibs together (I used my Vitamix), serve with a sprinkling of cocoa nibs and mint leaves and enjoy!