I spent a few days hiking in Wales last week and at the last minute, I decided to make some oat bran muffins to take along. (A far better alternative to pre-packaged energy bars…although there is some really good stuff on the market right now. Just not that easy to find!)
So I sort of winged a recipe and then in a rush to get packed up and get to the airport. I couldn’t find my muffin tins and therefore, I used my little mini-doughnut molds. Thus, Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Mini Muffin Doughnuts were born… They were taste tested by my daughter (who would have gladly eaten all of them) and then made their way from Italy, through England and onto the Welsh mountains. 😉
Chocolate Chip Oat Bran Mini Muffin Doughnuts
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose gluten free flour blend (I make my own but store bought is fine. Make sure there is no added sugar)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- ½ tsp Himalayan (or sea) salt
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- ½ cup raw coconut sugar
- 1 ½ flax eggs (to make 1 flax egg, combine 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2 ½ tbsp. water)
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any other non-dairy milk substitute)
- ½ cup vegan, refined sugar free chocolate chips. (I make my own…will post the recipe soon!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Make the flax eggs and set aside for 5-10 minutes
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- Mix the wet ingredients together (applesauce, almond milk and vanilla)
- Pour the wet ingredients and flax eggs into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and mix until a uniform batter has formed
- Pour the mixture into muffin tins or doughnut molds, or in my case- mini doughnut molds
- Bake (for muffins: 20 minutes. For mini doughnut rounds: 6-10 minutes). Gauge it by sticking a toothpick in and make sure it comes out clean.
Serve (or pack) and enjoy!
*These are not too sweet and very filling. Perfect for a short break from outdoor activity but not so good if you are looking for a pastry to go with your morning coffee!