Cleansing Avocado Soup (Deliciously Ella’s Recipe)
There is this funny meme going around about avocados which pretty much encompasses my entire life’s struggle… It goes something like:
EAT ME NOW
Due to this terribly disturbing reality, there are days in which I have to incorporate avocados into every meal in order not to waste the over ripe fruit.
Avocados, in Italy, are like gold. They cost triple the amount that they should and good ones are few and far between. They are sourced from different countries throughout South America (and g-d know where else…but I’d sooner not discern) and sometimes I go weeks without finding a good one.
Therefore, far be it for me to let them go to waste.
This soup was the result of one of those days where I woke up and found four very very soft and browning avocados staring up at me from the fruit bowl, expressing disapproval, daring me to throw them out.
This is not my recipe. I got it straight out of Ella Woodward’s second cookbook “Deliciously Ella Every Day” and followed it to a tee (which is something I do rarely).
It was great. Fresh, filling and super healthy. More importantly though, it took care of a few of the ageing avocados in my kitchen.
Cleansing Avocado Soup
(makes two bowls- I doubled the recipe for four)
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cucumber
- 100 ml almond milk (the recipe called for cashew milk but I subbed what I had)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- I used pine nuts and pumpkin seeds (pepitas) to garnish but anything works
- Scoop the flesh out of the avocado and blend (I used my Vitamix for everything but a standard blender works too)
- Chop up the cucumber and add to the blender. Blend for 30 seconds to a minute
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the toppings and blend until smooth and creamy (about two minutes on medium speed)
- Pour the soup into bowls and garnish with seeds/nuts and serve immediately
- Store in the fridge