I made these waffles the other day and to tell you the truth, I was risking a total disaster. I had come across about four different recipes and was deciding on which one to use. When I made my final choice, I made the mistake of keeping two of the recipes as photos in my phone. Without knowing it, I kept switching back and forth and basically fused both of the gluten free vegan waffle recipes into one completely new recipe. Once I realized what I had done, it was too late….so I just kind of kept going. The result, surprisingly, was divine. These waffles were pefect. Not too sweet but sweet enough: crusty on the outside and fluffy on the inside: warm and “buttery.”
Et voila. Here’s the lesson: sometimes we get the best results when we make the biggest mistakes. 😉
Waffles (Gluten Free, Vegan, Refined Sugar Free)
(I know it seems like a lot of ingredients…and it is…but I seriously did combine two recipes! However, I guarantee great results!)
- 1 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp raw coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp (gluten free) baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Combine the apple cider vinegar and coconut milk and set aside for at least five minutes
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup and melted coconut oil to the coconut milk/vinegar combo.
- Add the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon or spatula.
- Slowly add the water and mix until the batter is totally uniform
- Heat your waffle maker and scoop about 1/3 of the batter for each waffle. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- I served these waffles with vegan butter and strawberry chia maple jam.
*The jam is really easy to make and you can really substitute any type of fruit. Here is the recipe for this one: heat up about 10 frozen strawberries in a small pan with ¼ cup of water and ¼ cup maple syrup. Once the strawberries are soft, blend the mixture with an immersion blender and then add about 1 ½ tbsp of chia seeds. Let sit for 10 minutes and serve).