I have spent so much time sprializing zucchinis that I was totally neglecting other “spiralizable” vegetables. Although the spiralizer instructions say that one can spiralize anything from carrots to sweet potatoes to pumpkin, I am finding it a bit challenging. I am a personal fan of the spiralized zucchini and plan on sticking to that from now on. However, in the meantime, I ventured into purple carrot spiralizing and although the actual carrot wasn’t necessarily easy to work with, I came up with a delicious dish.
The carrot (purple in this case) worked incredibly well with a sweet and tangy coconut milk based sauce. It was somewhat Thai inspired and delicious.
Purple carrot “spaghetti” with Thai coconut milk dressing
- Three purple carrots (but orange ones would work as well)
For the dressing:
- ½ cup full fat organic coconut milk
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger
- ½ garlic clove
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari
- 1 tbsp organic unrefined sesame oil
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Juice from 1 lime
- Black sesame seeds
- Pine nuts
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Sprialize or julienne the carrots and set aside
- Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor or with an immersion blender
- Mix the carrot noodles with the dressing and decorate with the garnish
- Serve and enjoy!
And for a laugh: this below is my daughter. (also my numero 1 taste-tester). Here she is fully enjoying the Asian flavor combinations. Unfortunately for her however, we obviously spend more time in the kitchen picking out ingredients than we do choosing her outfits. 😉 #foodoverfashion (sometimes!)