So it definitely doesn’t taste like Dominoes…and you won’t come across any sweet potato crust in the ubiquitous pizzerias in Naples, Italy…. but it is pretty damn good. I’ve made this crust a number of times- made some mini pizzas (as seen below) and larger ones as well. I’ve also topped them with various delectable vegan cheeses and veggies. Each time, the pizzas come out satisfying and delicious.
Here’s the basic crust recipe.
- 5 ½ cups peeled, chopped and steamed sweet potatoes
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds & 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1 ¼ cup gf oat flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp herbs de Provence (or other mixed herbs)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Mash the steamed sweet potatoes and add in the chia egg (once it’s set into a gel for 10 minutes)
- Mix and add in the olive oil and vinegar
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and add them to the sweet potato mixture
- Line a pizza pan with parchment paper and pour the batter in
- Smooth down with a spatula (or your hands…which I used!) until even- it should be ¼- 1/3 inch thick
- Cook in the oven for about 30-35 minutes or until the edges have browned
- Top as desired and either eat as is or pop back in the oven for 5-10 minutes
*Obviously if you are making smaller pizzas (like the ones below) the oven time will vary, just make sure to check the crust. It should be tougher on the outside and softer on the inside…but not gooey!
*These pizzas are topped with a simple almond pulp “cheese” and eggplant “bacon”…I will share the recipes in another post shortly!