I bought way too many apricots at the market the other day and when that happens, with the heat of the Roman summer, all fruit overripens and risks going very bad very quickly.
Unfortunately, as much fruit as we consume in my household, we were unable to finish the apricots before they started to turn mushy and spotty.
Never fear, however. There is ALWAYS a solution. The solution this time was to boil down the apricots, add a bit of raw coconut sugar and make apricot jam/marmalade. Then, create a gluten free vegan base and voila: apricot cobbler.
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix (I make my own but it can easily be store bought. Bob’s Red Mill is a good brand)
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- ½ tsp gf baking powder
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw coconut sugar
- pinch of salt
- apricot jam (description above…but its really easy. Just boil the meat of any fruit (I add some water to begin with) over medium heat in a non-stick pot…mine are ceramic lined Le Creuset brand…add some sugar/maple syrup/honey if necessary and wait! And then let cool.)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F)
- Mix all the ingredients together (except for the apricot jam) creating a crumbly dough
- Pat about ¾ of it into a pan
- Cover the base with the jam (about 8 ounces)
- Crumble the remaining dough over the jam (do not pat down!)
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Serve and enjoy! (I bet it is really good served with vanilla coconut icecream!) 😉